Pros and cons of using
themes in website development
Themes are website templates, created by third-party developers, that are designed to expedite site development on popular platforms like WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla. In this post, we’ll look at the advantages and disadvantages of using themes vs. building a website from scratch – providing you with an informed basis for choosing the option that’s best for you.
- Themes can be a great time and money saver. They enable developers to create an attractive, functional website in much less time – which can be a lot easier on your budget.
- Well-constructed themes usually do the job very well. They offer many page options to choose from, which, when used as intended, can accommodate most people’s needs for an attractive website with common functionality.
- Themes are usually responsive. They’ll present your content equally well on desktops, tablets, and smartphones. When a site is built from scratch, it can take a lot of time and labor to accomplish this.
- Some complex modifications can be difficult to achieve. If you want a theme page to do something different than what it was designed to do, it may turn out to be much more challenging than you would think – sometimes a lot more challenging – and that can translate into more developer time, and thus higher costs.
- Not all themes are created equal. Some great-looking themes don’t even do what they’ve been designed to do very well, much less support the modifications you’d want to make. And your developers may not be able to tell how functional a theme is (or isn’t) until they actually start building your site. Online reviews are sometimes available, but they’re only as reliable as the people who wrote them; so you have to take them with a grain of salt.
Still not sure whether using a theme is right for you? Contact us. Our developer team builds websites from scratch, and using themes, on a daily basis. We’ll be happy to listen to your needs and recommend the best approach for your situation.
Stay tuned to Backe social, where we’ll continue to share our professional insights into technology issues in our ongoing Digital Expertise series.
Backe is a digital marketing and brand communications agency, focused on creating smart, beautiful and strategically-driven work. We build communities, relationships, and meaningful connections.