#MeetTeamBacke: Moss Stern

Writing copy that’s clear, concise, and compelling

Copywriting is the act of writing text for the purpose of advertising or other forms of marketing. The product, called copy, is written content that aims to increase brand awareness and ultimately persuade a person or group to take a particular action.” – Wikipedia

Moss Stern is Backe’s Senior Copywriter. I sat down with him to ask how he approaches his craft.

Heather: How did you get into copywriting? How long have you been doing it?

Moss: It was an accident. I majored in English in college, then got a job as a secretary at an ad agency. I persuaded them to let me do some copywriting…and 30 years later, here I am.

Heather: How do you approach a new writing assignment?

Moss: I start by making sure I understand the marketing need, the audience, and what messages I’m supposed to get across. Then I just start writing. About 20% is just getting my thoughts down and saying what needs to be said. The other 80% is editing it until it reads well.

Heather: What are your goals when writing copy?

Moss: Copy should be clear, concise, and compelling. It must be easily understood – no room for misinterpretation. You have to get your points across quickly. And the copy has to convince readers to feel a certain way and take a particular action.

Heather: How do you go about writing in your audience’s language?

Moss: I try to understand what they care about, then speak to those needs and concerns. I try to interact with them on an emotional level, because that’s what people really respond to.

Heather: How can you tell when your manuscripts are finished?

Moss: They have to read well and feel right. I have to be sure there are no places where something is missing, unnecessary, or could be said better.

Heather: Do you have any advice for writers about responding to other people’s edits or feedback?

Moss: People will always want to make changes to your copy. Don’t take it personally or get defensive; but do speak up respectfully if you have a valid reason for disagreeing with them. Try to hear where they’re coming from, accommodate their feedback, and use it to come up with something that’s even stronger than what you had originally written.

Stay tuned to Backe social, where we’ll continue to unravel the mysteries behind an ad team’s everyday work – from design to strategy to social media and more – in our #MeetTeamBacke series.

Backe is a digital marketing and brand communications agency, focused on creating smart, beautiful and strategically driven work. We build communities, relationships, and meaningful connections.